Feb 13, 2013

You just do

Once again, Chuck Wendig has totally nailed it with his writing advice. Today's blog post from terribleminds, called "The Hardest Writerly Truth of Them All," (warning: rather sweary) explores the subject of motivation and people looking for quick fixes to get themselves writing.

I have one answer for you.
It is not a nice, nor easy, answer.
That answer is: “You just do.”
How do you get motivated?
You just do.
How do you get inspired?
You just do.


I have such a platonic writercrush on this guy. People ask me all the time how I manage to write with a baby and a toddler and I mostly don't know how to answer it other than "I just do." I throw those kids into naptime and rush for my laptop and write like crazy until they wake up. After dinner, I write instead of watching TV (except for Vampire Diaries nights, which are sacred). It's actually not that hard for me anymore.

But here's the thing. I do it because I have to. I've gone and gotten myself hooked on writing and it feels bad when I don't do it. Even when I've got writer's block, it feels gross and horrible to sit around not writing. Maybe this is a positive side effect of having kids now. Maybe I don't know to be inactive anymore. But whatever it is, I'm taking it and running with it.

Here's my advice (not that you asked for it). Force yourself into a routine where you write at a set time every single day. It's going to suck for at least the first month or so, but once it sticks -- if it sticks -- you're going to get hooked. Just keep writing. That's all I can say.

No comments:

Post a Comment