Aug 3, 2011

When the soundtrack doesn't fit

I've almost always got a song stuck in my head. Most of the time, it is not a good one. Obnoxious pop songs, cheesy TV ads, you get the idea. Yesterday, it was the theme song from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. My book is about nightmares and has some rather dark themes. You can imagine how well that fit.

"I follow him in. The floor slopes downward, and the tunnel becomes gradually smaller until Jared has to duck and the top of my hair is brushing the damp ceiling . . . (Oh. You. Pretty Chitty Bang Bang, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, we love you)

Um, guys, can you please turn it down in there? Ahem, where was I?

"Water drips onto my hair, my face, down the back of my neck, and everything is clammy and cold. It feels like the walls are breathing in, sucking closer . . . (And. In. Chitty Bang Bang, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, what we'll do)

Grrrrr, metaphorical fingers in ears.

"I crouch down and rest my chin on my knees. Every ounce of me wants to turn and run straight out of here. I just need to breathe."
BANG BANG CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG! OUR FINE FOUR FENDERED FRIEND! BANG BANG CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG! OUR FIIIIIINE FOUR FEEEENNNNNDERED FRIEEEEENNNND!!!!!

I give up. I'll just write a damn flying car into the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment