Aug 25, 2011

The snick

I recently read Laini Taylor's Lips Touch: Three Times, and I have to say, it's one of the most beautiful books I've read in ages. Beautiful in two ways. First of all, the design of the book is simply gorgeous, with a cool design, red and black text elements, great fonts, and amazing illustrations. And then there is her writing. I would be lying if I said I weren't horribly, gut-wrenchingly jealous. She is really, really good.

At any rate, I went onto her blog and discovered that she'd compiled a series of essays about writing on a separate blog. There is some great advice in there. One of my favorite pieces is about "the snick."

The snick

How I love the snick. It’s the sound and feeling of a puzzle piece fitting into place. You know what I mean: you instantly feel the rightness of it, the ease. When you’re forcing a piece, you know it. You feel it. It’s awkward, you have to work too hard to make it fit. Pay attention to those feelings. Never settle for a piece that doesn’t fit, even if it almost does. Keep brainstorming. Demand “the snick” every time, to every question. You know when you’re reading a book and you feel the presence of the author all of a sudden, you feel them trying to make something happen in the story. As soon as you feel that, you know they goofed -- they gave up too easily and tried to force something in plot or character, something that feels wrong, awkward. You can feel their fingers pushing and pushing that puzzle piece. You don’t want that.

I love that somebody came up with a term to describe this wonderful, elusive feeling. And her advice about it is spot-on. I think I may have a bit of a girl crush.

No comments:

Post a Comment